At Monkey Puzzle West Norwood we strongly believe that a healthy, balanced diet is essential for growth and development in under 5’s. This prompted us to consult with a nutritionist to formulate a menu that will help give your child the best start in life.
We believe our menu is not only nutritious, fresh and creative but offers balanced meals to fuel the body and mind of all our nursery children. This has been done under the expert guidance of Zita Steyn, a holistic chef and graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York
We offer 3 meals, plus snacks through the day. All the energy your child will need to be active and engaged throughout their day of learning.
Our ethos around food is to understand where food comes from and to recognise the connection between nature and food, ie ‘pot to plate’ and ‘seed to plate’. With this in mind, our aim is to instil the following:
- Good food and nutrition is important
- Facilitate fine motor development – picking up pasta with pincer grip, learning to use a knife and fork
- The right habits so that when children are older they can make healthier food choice
- Eating is enjoyable, sociable and that eating together is a great time to introduce new flavours and textures
- An awareness of good manners and politeness
Here at Monkey Puzzle West Norwood food and creating a good food culture is important to us. This is only possible by putting learning into practice and we offer regular cooking classes to all our children.
Meal times are a learning experience and with this in mind, we have engaged the help of the wonderful Henri Le Worm and friends, created by Olivier Blanc. Taking huge inspiration from his father, Raymond Blanc, we understand that educating children about food from a young age is paramount to healthy lifestyle choices and all our children will become very familiar with Henry Le Worm and his friends.
The tiniest of hands can create culinary delights, even if all the ingredients do not make it to the bowl. Imaginative concepts such as ‘super power from Super food’ will encourage curiosity whilst keeping children engaged and educated.
Our aim is to provide nutritious, creative, fresh, balanced meals, consisting, wherever possible, of organic and responsibly sourced ingredients. All our meals are cooked on the premises, using fresh and good quality ingredients.
- We use high quality meat that can be traced back to source
- We use lots of fresh fruit and vegetables
- We serve only water with all our meals
- We cater for specific dietary requirements
- We also use the produce that the children have planted and grown in the garden to create the link between nature and food
- We have a 4 week rotating menu, twice a year, to reflect the seasonal produce available.
Click below to see an example of our weekly rotating menu:
Click here to learn about portion sizes for under 5’s